Saturday, 17 March 2012

Scrapbooking for beginners: Journaling

I'am sorry for not writing this post yesterday. Time flew with sneaks being posted and weekend work at home. :) So let's get started, ya?

Journaling is an integral part of scrapbooking. I agree that working with pretty stuff will fulfil your crafty cravings. However, a layout can be pretty meaningless if it doesn't have a story. In that case what is the difference between scrapbooks and photo albums, right? 

I know writing doesn't come easy. I mean even these posts that I'am writing here takes a bit of time to come together. But there are a lot of ways to motivate yourself to write. I'am going to share some tips here that work for me and I'am hoping they will work for you too. 

1. Do not pressure yourself. Whatever you write doesn't have to be perfect. As long it tells the story that you want to share it's enough. 

2. Do not compare yourself. When you go through other's scrapbook pages or read others blog posts, do not think that you can never write like them. Do not compare. This will only stress you out. Take inspiration from others' work. But never let their work bog you down. 

We all have different styles of writing. Are all books you have read in your life the same? Nope. That's because all authors have different writing styles. What your style of writing is something that you can determine only once you actually 'start writing'. 

3. Write. Write. Write. Like everything in life, good writing also takes practice. Carry a small notebook around and write when something sparks in you. When you take a photo of your children, write a bit about it in your notebook. This will ensure that you don't sit and blink at the scrapbook page wondering what to write about. 

4. Start blogging. I'am not kidding here. Blog is a great way to get writing. When I was young (I'am not that old now :P), the only way to get published was to write an article for a newspaper or magazine. That is not the case anymore. You can have your own blog and write whatever you want to. Be it about politics, food, travel.... and crafts. When you post a photo of your card or project, write a bit about it. This is a really good practice to help yourself explain and play with words. 

5. Start small and don't worry. When you are finding it difficult to come up with words, start small. Write about when the photo was taken, where, what are you doing in the photo etc. Let it start that way.As time passes and you keep making pages you will feel like writing more and words will start flowing. 

Don't worry about what people will think when they go through your pages. If you have written something really personal, hide it in a secret pocket on the page so that they don't see it.

6. Why not use your mother tongue? Since scrapbooking is a western hobby, doesn't mean that we can write only in English, ya? You can write in your own language if that is easier for you. This is something I've been planning for sometime. I should do it too. ;)

Remember to have fun. There is no point in stressing out. The more stressed out we are, the more scared we are to take risks. And what is life without a few risks, eh? 

---



To help you write better and share meaningful stories, all of our subscribers will receive a complimentary pass to Ali Edwards' Storyology class. How can you be a PPS subscriber??? Details coming soon. :)

For now let me tell you a bit about Ali Edwards and Storyology. 

Ali’s passion resides in that very special place where the stories and images of life intersect. Designer, blogger, author, and mother of two, Ali is well known for capturing everyday life with photos and words and creating scrapbooks from those moments that often pass by in an instant.

“I started scrapbooking in 2002 as a way to organize all the stuff I collected after the birth of my son. It has become so much more than an organizational process for me. Through the techniques of photography and personal storytelling I have discovered my voice. My hope is that by sharing the stories of my life and the methods I use to document our days, others will feel inspired and encouraged to record their own.”


Storyology

"A motivational, process-based presentation showcasing my favorite techniques to get words into my scrapbooks. My hope is that after completing the class you will be inspired to tell more of your own personal stories. Please note that this is a lecture and prompt based class. There is no specific project you will be creating." Ali Edwards

Topics Included
The reason why, getting ready to write, story mechanics, rhythms, etc. This class includes six different writing prompts and you are encouraged to take the time during the presentation to write your responses to those prompts (pause the video and then resume when you are ready).

Supply List
Handout, a pen, and a willingness to be open to telling more of the stories of your life.

---

See you soon, happy crafting!

2 comments:

  1. i've been considering your last point as well, neelu.. although i've used some words for my page titles and journaling before..

    great post! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.