Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Scrapbooking for beginners: What are the Tools Required?

Like every hobby, scrapbooking also requires certain basic supplies. Following are the items I require when I sit down to scrapbook: -



Paper Trimmer
A paper trimmer is a very handy tool. Most of them come with a scoring blade which can make your life even more easier. Initially I used to use a simple paper cutter. I used to think that that was enough. I agree that it is a handy tool. But when you have to 'measure' and cut for anything in particular, it gets really tough. Same goes with scissors. 

I would suggest you visit an office supply store like Office Depot or Middle East Stationery (in Dubai). They have really good trimmers pricing from AED 35 to AED 250 and up. I got mine (the one in the picture) for AED 35 from Office Depot. :)






Cutting Mat
Cutting Mat comes in various sizes and varieties. This is a worthy investment as it will save your table from cuts and paints especially if you like to get messy like me. :) 




Card stock
I don't think I can explain better than Wikipedia about card stock: 
"Card stock, also called cover stock or pasteboard, is a paper stock that is thicker and more durable than normal writing or printing paper, but thinner and more flexible than other forms of paperboard. Card stock is often used for business cardspostcardsplaying cards, catalog covers, scrapbooking, and other uses which require higher durability than regular paper. The texture is usually smooth, but can be textured, metallic, or glossy."



Patterned Paper / Design Paper 
Or Pretty Paper as we call it at PPS are those beautiful pre-designed papers that you just can't live without. :D The two common sizes of Patterned Papers are 12x12" for scrapbookers and 6x6" for cardmakers. Then there is 8x8" which can be used for both. 


Alpha
I know you can use Word Art on Microsoft Word or simply type and print on Word. If that works for you, please take that route. I'am kind of lazy and prefer using Alphas from different manufacturers. And of course my favourite is 'Thickers' from American Crafts. :)



Embellishments

What embellishments to use depend totally on you. You could use butterflies, roses, tags, border stickers, ribbons, trims, trinkets, doilies etc etc etc. You could also use memorabilia that you have with you as an embellishment. For example, if your layout is about a trip you took, you could use the boarding pass or ticket stub; if your layout is about your child's birthday party, you could use some of the leftover decoration pieces. Endless possibilities here.
  
Adhesives
You need adhesives to stick down paper and embellishments onto your cardstock right? You could use a normal glue stick or you could use Adhesive Tape Runners like these which are easier to handle. 

 

Albums and Page Protectors
After my first post, Priya had asked me how do we store our scrapbook pages. When I create a layout, I leave it on our living room's shelf for few days - for me and others to admire. heee. Then I take it down and store it in my American Crafts' D Ring Album which comes with transparent Page Protectors. There are plenty of other albums out there which may suit your taste. This is the first album I tried and I don't think I will go looking for others. It's perfect for me as the page protectors are sturdy and easy to slip the layout into. And since it's D-Ring, I can turn the pages easily as in a normal photo album. 

The album also comes with 10 page protectors in it which means you can store 10 x 2 = 20 layouts (scrapbook pages). But it can take more. I have 20+ page protectors (40+ layouts) in the album shown here. Oh and the best part is that it comes with a chipboard cover that you can customize as you want. 

You can also purchase packs of page protectors. Which means even if you don't have an album, you can still store your layouts and sleep in peace. :)

Others 
Other supplies that you can use as you continue scrapbooking are punches, stamps, inks, mists, paint, die cutting machines... I wouldn't say these are absolutely necessary to scrapbook, but having them won't hurt. :)

--


I think I have covered all the basic tools today. If I remember anything later, I will edit the post. I would like to mention here that Pretty Paper Studio's Scrapbooking Kits will have Card stock, Patterned Papers, Alpha, Embellishments like tags, doilies, stamps (embellishments will vary each month). And these items will all be coordinated for you which means you don't have to worry about spending a lot of time and money trying to get supplies that go well with each other. We will do all the work for you. All you have to do is sit and enjoy scrapbooking. :)) 

Our shop will also carry items like Adhesives, Albums, Page Protectors, Punches, Inks, Stamps. 

--




Today's winner: Megha Jain. Please email us your postal address to info@prettypaperstudiouae.com. 

--

Today's Question: Have you got the photo yet? Tomorrow we are making a page together. :)

29 comments:

  1. I did a post on most wanted tools, but I forgot these completely! :)
    maybe the trimmer, but rest of it...poof!! I did cover all the other tools that I hoard in my tool box!!
    Love the alphas you have..I would probably hoard them! :)
    In case you want, I would love to share my post with you.
    Loving you back to basics posts! I need more help on how to begin scrapping...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tejal

      I would love to read your post. Could you share a link here?
      I'am planning to do a sketch to layout post tomorrow. Let's see :)

      Neelu

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to your post...
      Here's a link to my long long long post! :)
      http://tejalcreates.blogspot.in/2011/07/basics-of-card-makingstamping-part-1.html

      Delete
    3. Hi, just went through the post and was about to comment that I got it. :))

      A very detailed post indeed... Thank you for sharing :)
      Neelu

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, Neelu! Would come in really handy for the beginners :)
    And Tejal's post has a lot of other useful information too. Go check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Just went through her post too. :)

      Delete
  3. This is a very useful post on the basics of scarpbooking...and as a card maker i have most of these supplies...but i guess it would be a good idea to invest in some alpha's and thickers as well....yours are simply beautiful!!!!!looking forward to seeing your Lo tommorrow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, cardmakers and scrapbookers use very similiar tools. :)

      Delete
  4. this is a really good post... i rally need a good trimmer... but cannot zero down on one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good reviews of Fiskars. I've used Cricut's too. :) The one shown in the picture is from a company called 'Westcott'. I love it to bits. :))

      Hope that helps :)
      Neelu

      Delete
  5. Such a well written and useful post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried making a scrapbook for my friends son but have not completed it yet for lack of thought on the whole thing.... but now I am collecting pics of my lil fella... hope i can work it out... ur series is gonna be of great help ... thanks:)

    gonna need all the help I can get...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you doing a mini album? If you have many photos to work with it can be a bit scary. I would suggest you start with one page at a time and give yourself a good pace. Take it easy and slow. You will be fine, I'am sure. :)

      If you need any help give us a shout at info@prettypaperstudiouae.com and we will surely try our best to make you happy. :)

      Neelu

      Delete
  7. Thank you very much for sharing these posts. I really appreciate you for making scrapbooking simple for beginners like me. Will definitely join you tomorrow and learn the basics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Swathi :) See you tomorrow Insha Allah :))

      Delete
  8. Great and informative tutorial Neelu. I highly recommendable. Well done! For those who did not start scrapbooking, it's time to start the journey and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you dear for both for prize and especially for important information you r providing on scrapbooking as, i am going to start for two girls in my family.......just waiting for my stuffs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you got the photo yet? Tomorrow we are making a page together. ----yaa i am ready with photo.eager to learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am always on a lookout for the Basic Tools for Scrapbookers, as i teach in schools and have to keep myself updated. After reading ur post, just want to say ,yes i agree with all that its a good article on scrapbook basics, but not on basic tools. you can either name this post as Basic supplies for beginners, or add some tools to the list. That would really help your customers.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your insight Hana. Will keep that in mind for future posts. :)

      Neelu

      Delete
  12. wow, I am yet to buy trimmer and cutting matts. I like all ur articles on scrapebooking. Have not tried any layout so far... looking forward to get more info.

    And Yes I have got around 1000 pics from Paris, mostly eiffil tower , lauvre,notre dam and many more... it would be real fun for me if I can make a scrapbook... thanks dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you start scrapbooking then. :)

      Neelu

      Delete
  13. That's a really good post!!! It has really helped me a lot!!!
    I would be eagerly waiting for tomorrow for the layout tutorial!! And yes, I have many pictures with me!!! I have an album which looks like a scrapbook and has no plastic sheets just thick card stock....could I use it??? And congrats megha!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kavya. You can use whatever you are comfortable with Kavya. :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.