Thursday, 21 February 2013

February Challenge: Anything with Washi


Hi all ....

February is my birthday month .... :)) ... and therefore it is my most favorite month!!!! ..... and of all the product that I love of scrapbook, washi tapes is also one of my favorite!! ... yay!

First lets see the definition of washi by Wikipedia
Washi (和紙?) is a style of paper that was first made in Japan. Washi is commonly made using fibers from the bark of the gampi tree, the mitsumata shrub (Edgeworthia chrysantha), or the paper mulberry, but also can be made using bamboo, hemp, rice, and wheat. Washi comes from wa meaning Japanese and shi meaning paper, and the term is used to describe paper made by hand in the traditional manner.[1]

It is basically a paper. A thin one. And it is able to handle any technique that a paper could handle. If you love paper, you will certainly love washi. And I love washi so very much !!! Have I started to sounds like a psycho ??? .... hehehehe

I have more than 100 rolls of washi ;P .... but I won't let you know what is the exact total number .... could be 150, could be 200, could be 250 .... hehehehehe ..... I use washi everytime and almost everywhere .... for example, under my scrapbook/ laptop table. I had about 7 different electrical plugs for different gadget on my table (laptop,printer,cameo, etc etc), but I have only 3 wall plugs .... so everytime all these plugs have to be plugged and unplugged based on my requirements. And I always confused which plug is for which machine. Then I had simple solution, to attach different different washi tapes for each plug, and the same washi at the plug will also attached at the machine on the table. No more confusion afterward!!!!

I used washi tapes for wrapping a present, seal an envelope, to decorate a cupcake/ cake, even at my works, instead of masking tape that we normally used for drawings, I used washi!! ..... :)

But, the best used for washi that I've known, is for doing Project Life ... (somehow, for some reasons, I always feel over, totally super over excited when I heard Project Life being mentioned ... :P ). As I can used washi as border, as background, to adhere photo, and many others.

So lets see my PL spread below;

this is the left side


and this is the right side


washi all the way !!!!! take note that I did not use any patterned paper for this spread. All were being made by washi tapes!!!

So lets see the detail


I use washi tape as border .... awesome!!, and I added machine stitch on top of it. No problem whatsoever. My machine needle has run smoothly on top of that tape. I noticed, that some type (but not all) of washi tapes will leave a tiny bit of adhesive on your needle. It's not the very sticky one like other tapes or glue will leave though. It will be easily removed by hand, and your needle will be cleaned afterward.


and this one, I have embossed on top of the tape!!! .... no warp, or other, no problem at all!! ..... you just need to heat it slowly, it is not as sensitive as when you emboss on vellum or photo paper. You just have to be a little extra careful. But you will love the result, I promise!


And you can use the tape as background like I did on the black polkadot washi tape above. And you can punched it afterward. It is difficult to notice the tape right ? since all the pattern are connected. :)Lovely.

So, based on the above, it has been proofed that washi tapes can handle stitching, embossing, and punching ..... I have tried also to distressed it, color it, and write on top of it ...... but I have yet to try to use it as background and cut it using cameo. But I will definitely do it someday ... Go on, have some (or more) washi everyone!!!!

Cheers
Riri

Supplies Used
Washi Tapes


--

A summary of what you have to do: 
Make a Scrapbook Page, Card and/or a Project with Washi Tapes
Your work has to be new: made after this challenge went live
Share it in our album February Challenge: Anything with Washi in our FB Group
Projects that are not shared in the specified album will be disqualified
Follow us on Blogger and Like us on Facebook
You can participate in this challenge only once
Deadline: February 28, 2013
Prize: AED 25 Gift Voucher to the Store

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.