Sunday, 7 April 2013

Anything First April Challenge - Susan

FIRST things FIRST!

Hello everyone - it's Susan!

Pretty Paper Studio has its FIRST Birthday this month so
to celebrate I thought I would do a bumper bundle of cards rather than just four!


And I thought I would get back to FIRST Principles! 
Rather than any fancy folds I am going to use simple folded cards: Hero Hues folded cards,
 which come in a variety of colours with matching envelopes.


I then started thinking - when I first started making cards I soon found I needed lots of extra things:
  • Pretty Papers
  • Stamps
  • Ink Pads
  • Circular punches
  • Ribbons and embellishments
Happy First Birthday!!

My first card merely uses some pretty papers and a little ribbon and twine embellishment. I think cards for the very young should have very simple shapes - so here a little puppy dog has been cut out - of course I had to add googly eyes and a little black nose!! I printed the sentiment on the computer.



Another simple First Birthday card - again using pretty papers. A background paper has been again matted onto the folded card and my simple shape has been made with two punched circles and two triangles, Obviously this card could not be given to the child to play with as the whiskers are pins!
 A little twine, googly eyes and a sentiment from the computer completes the picture.


I then decided to move on to some more adult ideas and changed Happy First Birthday
 to Happy First Anniversary.
Here is my First Anniversary collection: all involving stamping!


The first two I am going to mention involve simple stamping (where I used my Fiskars stamp press). The images have been stamped on Hero Hues Daffodil  Layering paper, distressed around the edges with Tim Holtz Tea Dye Distress Ink. A little twine in each case...These two have very subtle colouring!

  
This one also has pins to embellish.


This one starts off with a 'Punch' folded card, matted with a paper that matches the stamps.
The layering paper is placed on top using dimensionals. I deliberately printed the words Happy, First and Anniversary on white card to make them stand out.


The other three Anniversary cards use more complicated stamping techniques. This one uses triple stamping and I have used a white folded card for the base, then a black one to cut the various layers.
Ribbon is interspersed between the layers and a bow has been added.



In this card I have used embossing with a variety of stamps, I have trimmed the edge to place a rectangle of paper behind, and used a 1.5 inch circular punch to cut out the heart motifs.


This style of card is one of my favourites - it uses masking. A mask is punched out of a post-it note using a 1.5 inch circular punch. The stamp is used in a sun ray fashion around the circle. The mask is moved to leave the blank circle in the middle. The corners of the white and yellow layering paper have been cut out  using a small circular punch. I have added ribbon, pins and 'Stickles'


I have used circular punches in several cards in this set of 9 - in particular in these three:



As you can see from the middle one I started thinking about Christmas!! I know it's a bit early!! 
However Baby's FIRST Christmas is another reason for a card with First on it!!  
Here I started with a black folded card, punched out two circles for the snowman  and trimmed the rest of the black card up to the top left corner. I placed pretty paper behind. The spare black card gave me enough for the hat. I turned the two punched circles over to give white circles for the snowman. Added googly eyes and pearls completed the picture. The small flower on the hat is cut from the paper pad.


My final card again is "Baby's First Christmas' (and again would not be given to the baby to play with as it has a pin...) Here I have used a 'peg' stamp  in a way to form a tree.
 The pot is made from dismantled tiny pegs. Added ribbon and pearls complete the embellishments!
 Again I have used the computer to print my sentiments.



 I do hope you have enjoyed my cards!

Happy Crafting!

Materials Used

Paper and Cardstock
Hero Hues Folded Cards
Matching Envelopes
Yellow Layering Paper
My Girl Paper Pad

Stamps
Howdy Doody Baby
Webster's Pages Allison Kreft Love Stamp Set
American Crafts Cute

Ink pads
Hero Arts Shadow Ink Soft Cantaloupe
Hero Arts Shadow Ink Cornflower
Jenni Bowlin cough syrup
Versamark
Tim Holtz Tea Dye

Zing Embossing Powder
Stickles

Tools
Circular Punches of various sizes
Acrylic blocks to suit the size of the stamps
Fiskars Stamp Press
Distressing tool

Embellishments and Ribbons

googly eyes


---

A summary of what you have to do: 
Make a Scrapbook Page or a Card or an Altered Project with the theme "ANYTHING FIRST"

Your work has to be new: made after this challenge went live
Be a member of our Facebook Group and share your project in our album April Challenge: Anything first  
Projects that are not shared in the specified album will be disqualified

Follow us on Blogger and Like us on Facebook
You can participate in this challenge only once
Deadline: April 30, 2013
Prize: AED 25 Gift Voucher to the Store

4 comments:

  1. Lovely to see back to basics pretty cards, makes is feel more achievable for beginners:)
    Love
    Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful cards.....a excellent idea ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome cards, susan! esp love the one with a puppy! so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the giveaway/challenge open internationally? I want to join, but I am from the Philippines.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.