Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Product Spotlight: Distress Stains


Good Morning, friends..

This is Shruti here, and I am here to talk about Distress Stains. Distress Strains are fluid water based dyes for papers and other porus surfaces. They can be used in multiple ways. Use them directly top down by pressing the nylon dabber on to the surface to create a beautiful background... It gives a very water color like effect on paper.

Another way of playing with them is by pouring some of the ink into a spray bottle and use as a mist. You can also dilute it with water to give it a lighter effect..

Use them to color in ribbons, laces, paper flowers and other such embellishments.. I even tried using them on canvas once and it worked just perfect..

Here is what I quickly put together using some of my distress stains.. 

Hope you enjoy the tutorial..

Step 1


I started off by heat embossing some clear embossing powder directly on to the Hero Hues folded card in Snow
Step 2:


I decided to color up my card with three different Distress Stains.. Picket Fence, Peacock Feathers and Broken China. You can either apply them by rubbing the nylon dabber directly on to the card.. or use your fingers to gently dab them like I did in the picture below. I wanted a very uneven water-color like effect to my background which is why I decided to use my fingers.




Step 3: I cut a small piece of watercolor paper and this time I rubbed all the three color directly on to the paper and colored it up.. I even stained a piece of sheer white ribbon with Broke China Distress Stain


Step 4: I then stamped and cut some cute images on a water color paper to ink them with some distress stains..


Picket Fence is a very useful stain, according to me.. I use it to mix with other colors to create different shades..


Like here.. I mixed it with Barn Door Distress Stain to create a light pink shade. Similarly, I mixed Barn Door, Picket Fence and Crushed Olive stains together to get shades of orange and yellow.. And that is what I used to color these flowers up.. :) How cool is that?!





I hope you enjoyed the tutorial. Oh! yes.. the sentiment was cut using my Silhouette Cameo.. :)

Thank You!!
Love,
Shruti

Supplies Used:
Hero Hues Snow Floded Cards
Hero Arts Bright White Water Color Paper
Hero Arts Zig Zag Cling Stamp
Zing Embossing Powder Clear
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Stain: Barn Door
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Stain: Peacock Feathers
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Stain: Broken China
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Stain: Crushed Olive
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Stain: Picket Fence
American Crafts - Pebbles - New Addition Girl Collection - Clear Acrylic Stamp
Silhouette Cameo Die Cutting Machine

4 comments:

  1. WOw ! The card looks very pretty !Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to definitely have a go with my distress stains!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its nice..... havent tried distress stains yet....... great use... :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.