Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Susan's Product Spotlight - Sizzix Big Shot


Hello everyone - Susan today, spotlighting the Sizzix Big Shot!


I love my Big Shot - I think I use it every day!
It can be used with all manner of dies, embossing plates and folders...
But today I am going to give you some examples of using it with just two sorts of die -
 a magnetic set and a very slim set.



For any item that is used with the Big Shot, a 'sandwich' has to be made
 with various components, so that it is the correct depth going through the machine. 
I am going to start with the Tim Holtz Alterations Movers and Shapers 'Mini  Tattered Floral Set'. These are magnetic dies which can be used to allow a shape to be cut in a chosen place in the cardstock.
 They need to be used with another component, e.g. the tray or the ATC die as illustrated,
 to position them.  To make the correct depth, two cutting plates are added.

I am using the ATC die - which makes an Artist Trading Card shape and 4 'corners'. 
Artist Trading Cards are tiny pieces of artwork 2.5inches by 3.5inches.

The die is placed on a cutting plate, with one of the floral dies positioned within it,
covered with the material to be cut and a second cutting plate on top.
 This second cutting plate will get marked as it is used - so I try to use this one next to the cutting edges all the time - and keep my other one 'clean'.


 It is a good idea when making the sandwich to have the cutting plates a little forward of the die so there is a  little 'flex' to start the combination rolling through the machine.
All sorts of materials can be used from paper and cardstock, to fabrics, to chipboards...
Here I am using fabric!


These are the shapes I have produced running the combination through with different materials,
 using each of the floral dies in turn.


I have then layered the pieces, glued them and attached buttons and twine...the die also produces the corners. I curled the paper flower pieces around a pencil to give them some dimension.
These are the finished ATC's...'Things beginning with 'F' '


In the first three floral ones I have used papers, felt then fabric,


 In the final two, I made some triple stamped images,  layered and glued them
 and then ran them through the ATC die. Here the die is coping with 6 layers of card!




  Now moving on to the slim dies - the ones illustrated at the beginning are Sizzix Framelits -
 'Flower layers and Leaf'.

To make the 'sandwich' for these the platform as supplied with the Big Shot is required.
You can see this gives diagrams of appropriate 'sandwich' piles.
It has two tabs so that the platform can change its depth slightly.
In this case I am using tab 2.


I am going to make a card similar to the ones I made in this month's intro...


Using Hero Arts Lotus Background Stamp, an acrylic block, Versamark and a Zing! Rose embossing powder, I made an embossed background.


I chose a Hero Hues 'Snow' card blank and a patterned paper from the 'My Girl' paper pad to form the first matting - cutting this paper to a quarter inch less than the card blank in height and width.


I then trimmed a square from the embossed background to fit in the top of the card, but kept the extra piece.



Now comes the Big Shot bit - I placed a marked cutting plate on the platform, then my square with a die where I wanted it to cut and finally my 'good' plate on top.
 The die is cutting downwards this time so I need to make sure the plates are placed correctly!


I used the spare piece to run through several of the smaller dies.


I coloured the pieces with a distressing tool and pink and blue ink pads, on the non-stick craft sheet


The square was distressed around the edges too; the smaller shapes were coloured whilst still in the dies - this leaves a white rim around the edge.


Now comes the finished card - the larger flower has been made of three layers fastened together with a brad. Two types of ribbon have been attached to finish the look...



Hope you like my ideas!
Happy Crafting!

Materials used 

Tim Holtz Alterations Movers and Shapers 'ATC and Corners'

Distressing tool

Fabric and felt, Animal stamps, sundry items from my stash






7 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing this Susan! this is really amazing, specially for the new ones using big shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing Susan! Great ideas and lovely cards and ATC's.

    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great showcase, loving all the makes

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic post!! love all that you have created . Thank you so much for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where can I find your challenges?
    Gr Elly

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.