Sunday, 22 December 2013

Product Spotlight: Martha Stewart Circle Cutter


Hi all Donna here with you today and I'm going to show some projects I created with the Martha Stewart circle cutter.
I was thrilled when Neelu sent me this tool. I know cutting circles will be easier now. Though the cutter can only cut up to 5.5 inches, I still liked it after several use. No more tracing with a pencil first. I have to admit that at first I felt awkward cutting and made several not so successful attempts - the paper moving and not knowing where to cut, etc. I didn't read the instructions how to use it so it was after 2 pcs of destroyed papers and askew circles, I finally realized I have to secure the paper or else, it will really move! :)

I think I consumed TONS of paper scraps when I finished my projects. Even those kraft wrapping papers from the mall I had saved were finally put to use (YES I take lots of those when I go shop! lol!). I tried cutting the smallest circle which is 1 inch up to the biggest 5.5 inches. I cut various sizes of circles for my projects.

First, I created a flower out of several circles on top of each other. Used it to top this little wrapped gift.
Second are these paper Christmas balls. I was only able to make 6 pcs because I run out of the My Mind's Eye 6x6 paper pad I used.
The "Peace, Love, & Joy" tags were from my previous photo tutorial which you can find here
Last but not the least is this super cute 12 inches Christmas tree!!!! My favorite of all :)
I used gesso to cover all the papers and the doilies before misting with a mixture of acrylic paint, mist, watercolor and perfect pearls. I was aiming for a darker green color actually :D But I still liked it even though I didn't get the shade I wanted. It didn't show but I used a template/mask while misting on the papers. I used Dyan Reaveley's Dylusions Stencils 9x12 Let it snow. I assembled the papers by piercing each piece, in the middle, with skewers. I have the skewers (a bundle of 5 skewers taped together) adhered to a piece of styro-foam. I covered the circle styro-foam with green patterened paper first and used fringing scissors for the fringe edge. Curled them upwards for a bit of flare. Pierce the mid part of the papers first to easily get it into the skewers. There is an easier way to do it I think. I've thought about it while staring at the finished tree. You could just adhere each piece of paper on top of each other without the skewer! Anyways, I still loved how mine turned out :) And it's pretty sturdy ;)

I don't have gold acrylic paint so I used bronze to cover up this glittered star topper. Sprinkled gold glitters while still wet. I also sprayed a sealer so the glitter will not fall (unless you scratch them, of course). Then, using a gold nylon thread, I tied it around the tree as "garland". My husband said where are the Christmas lights.. lol! :D The topper is secured with a pin attached to the topmost part of the tree. 
I used doilies about 6 inches (or so) at the bottom part of my tree coz I wanted that part to be "fuller". I fuzzy cut these little houses from a patterned paper and made small gifts out of squares and sparkly crepe paper I found in the bookstore. I have a small village under my tree... really cute! :D
Here's a short video I made showing how I cut some circles out of a 6x6 paper...

I hope you liked my post today and got inspired so you can join this month's challenge! 


A summary of what you have to do: 
Make a Scrapbook Page or a Card or an Altered Project with the theme 'Holiday Cheers' 
Your work has to be new: made after this challenge went live
Be a member of our Facebook Group and share your project in our album December Challenge: Holiday Cheers
Projects that are not shared in the specified album will be disqualified
Follow us on Blogger and Like us on Facebook
You can participate in this challenge only once
Deadline: December 31, 2013
Prize: A prize pack put together by PPS

Supplies and tools used:
Doilies
Sparkly crepe paper
Gold nylon thread
Faux Rhinestones
Clear acrylic sealer - matte
Acrylic paint
Watercolor
Wood skewers
Styro foam
Fringe scissors
Cutters, scissors
Adhesives (liquid glue, double-sided tape, heavy-duty glue, foam tape, scotch tape)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.