Tuesday, 3 December 2013

Product Spotlight Tuesday: Embossing Folders


Hello everyone!

It's Ria once again and this time I'm sharing one of my favorite way to add texture in my card backgrounds, by using embossing folders.

There are two ways of embossing that I usually do and they are: dry embossing (which I will share today) and heat embossing (this we can feature in another time, and as the term denotes, this technique uses heat to emboss).

Dry embossing using embossing folders and a die cut machine to make the impressed image of the design. It's always good to use a heavier cardstock to emboss as the thinner paper you use, there's a tendency to have cracks in your card base, unless this is a look that you wanted to achieve overall.

Depending on your die cut machine, there will be a tab combination on how  you can emboss so be sure to check that one out also to refrain any damage to your machine. I happen to have a Big Shot machine by Sizzix.


I used three ways to emboss my holiday cards. One is using Ana Griffin's Aviary embossing folder/  border set to emboss the full card base. I love how elegant it look and I think this folder can also look so good in an invitation card. I used the border folder to emboss my envelope that would match my card.


To define the embossed details even more, I brush off some white pigment ink to show more of the design.


See the difference it makes with the white pigment?


For the first card, I did it with full embossing in front while the sentiment is heat embossed with Silver. The green paper strip is from Crate Paper Party Day 6x6 Paper Pad. I decided to choose one of the paper's green patterned page. Those stars just matches the season's festivities.


A closer look in the details


For the next card, to see how the same folder can work on vellum, I also emboss one vellum piece to cover the card front. It diffuses the color of the cardstock but its something that you can also use once in a while. I love it the same way.


I again embossed the sentiment with white and added a flower from Dear Lizzy Metal Rose brads.


For my third card, I did only part of the background  to be embossed. I left quarter of the space free of texture. See how I keep a part of the card base hanging on other side?  


 And partial embossing on this third card.


I again heat embossed the greetings.


All of the sentiments came from Hero Arts Greetings For The Holidays Stamp Set, which  I all love.

I hope this inspires you to try incorporating your embossing folders now in creating your next holiday project.

See you then!

Other materials used:
White pigment ink
Vellum
Bling

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.